For the past few weeks we have been getting a CSA farm share from Mountain View Farm in Easthampton, MA. Since I don’t live close enough to Kilpatrick Family Farm (KFF) to get their fresh, organic produce every week, I’ll be content with locally grown. Besides, that’s what it’s all about! Community Supported Agriculture! Just think, if everyone supported their local farms, it would remedy a lot of food concerns…. Aaaanyway, that’s a-whole-nother issue.
Mountain View Farm is just awesome. I’m consistently impressed by everything from their exquisite fields and structures, to their excellent, naturally grown produce.
This is what I made with some items from this week’s share. It was SO yummy! Everyone was raving….
- 1 C. carrots, chopped
- 3 large radishes, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, or 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 leaves kale, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 T. soy sauce
- 3 T. olive oil or as needed
- 1 T. sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 C. cold, cooked rice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 T. of olive oil and 1 T. sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, radishes, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender. Add the kale and cook until it is wilted and tender. Remove from the pan.
- Beat the eggs with salt and pepper. Add to the pan 1 T. olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggs. Cook, stirring, until they are lightly scrambled but not too dry. Remove the eggs and clean out the pan.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes, using a wooden spoon to break it apart. Stir in the soy sauce.
- When the rice is heated through, add the veggies and eggs back into the pan. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the scallions. Serve hot, with steak or just on it’s own!
Here is the Teriyaki Marinade recipe if you want to serve steak with the fried rice. It is delicious!